Make a Difference Day is a national day of community service that challenges people to volunteer in big and small ways to improve the lives of others. It was started by USA Today magazine in 1980 and continues to grow. This year, 24 million volunteers are expected to participated in the US alone – and many other countries are joining the effort. Even if there are no special events in your area, you can make a difference today and every day.
What do you do to make a difference? Do you use your art to make a difference?
Here are a few ideas you can use your creative skills to improve lives:
- Donate products for sale, auction or raffle
- Make things to comfort like stuffed animals, wooden toys or cosy blankets
- Teach a class to help a group develop practical new skills – or just for fun
- Donate unused materials to a school or community programs for their participants
- Help restore or revitalize a community building in need of a bright new look by volunteer to paint the walls, create a mural or hang artwork.
- Challenge others to use their skills too – make it a competition or a collaboration. All in fun, of course.
What other ideas do you have to use artistic endeavours to improve the life of others? What will you do today to make a difference?